Sweet Onion Bread Squares Recipe
Whether you're looking for a savory appetizer or unique accompaniment to soup, this speedy specialty is sure to please. Helen Lamison of Carnegie, Pennsylvania tops packaged bread dough with ham and onions, then bakes it until golden.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1 pound sweet onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1. In a large skillet, cook onions in butter over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sour cream, salt and caraway seeds. Stir in the onions and ham.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 16-in. x 11-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; build up edges slightly to form a crust. Spread with onion mixture. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 square) equals 96 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC