Sweet Onion Bread Squares
Whether you're looking for a savory appetizer or unique accompaniment to soup, this speedy specialty is sure to please. Helen Lamison of Carnegie, Pennsylvania tops packaged bread dough with ham and onions, then bakes it until golden.
24 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound sweet onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- In a large skillet, cook onions in butter over medium heat for 15-20
- minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. In a large
- bowl, whisk the eggs, sour cream, salt and caraway seeds. Stir in
- the onions and ham.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 16-in. x 11-in.
- rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking
- pan; build up edges slightly to form a crust. Spread with onion
- mixture. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 square) equals 96 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.