- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 can (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter and 1 tablespoon oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Brush bottom and sides of a 10-in. ovenproof skillet with remaining oil. Unroll dough into skillet; flatten dough and build up edge slightly. Top with onion mixture and cheese. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Sweet Onion Bread Skillet
"ANY Recipe from Lisa Speers is ALWAYS outstanding. And this one definitely is! Simple, easy and delicious. It just doesn't get better than that!"
"This was super amazing. I only had crescent rolls and they were so so so good."
"Made this for our family appetizer night. It was quite the hit! Definitely adding it to our rotation. Made it in our cast iron skillet, very simple to make."
"I had leftover beer bread so I followed the instructions for the onion topping only and did not use the refrig pizza crust. The onion topping was excellent! My husband is not the biggest fan of onions but he dubbed this as a "keeper". Easy to make too."
"This was surprising delicious. All of my guests loved it. I did not have a 10" oven proof skillet so I used a 10" pie pan which worked great. I used a thick crust tube of Pillsbury pizza crust. Some of my guests suggested I try a thin crust next time. Be sure to use a very large onion as it shrinks as it browns."