Sweet Onion Blossom Recipe
- 1 small Vidalia or sweet onion, peeled
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1. Place onion on a cutting board; cut a thin slice from top. Place onion, root end down, make 1/4-in. cuts to within 1 in. of bottom. Repeat cuts in opposite direction, forming a grid pattern. Place in an ungreased 2-cup baking dish. Top with 1 teaspoon butter.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until tender (cover with foil if top browns too quickly). Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining butter until tender; keep warm. Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Place onion on a serving plate; spoon mushrooms and asparagus around onion. Yield: 1 serving.
1 serving equals 223 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.