- 1 small Vidalia or sweet onion, peeled
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Place onion on a cutting board; cut a thin slice from top. Place onion, root end down, make 1/4-in. cuts to within 1 in. of bottom. Repeat cuts in opposite direction, forming a grid pattern. Place in an ungreased 2-cup baking dish. Top with 1 teaspoon butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until tender (cover with foil if top browns too quickly). Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining butter until tender; keep warm. Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Place onion on a serving plate; spoon mushrooms and asparagus around onion. Yield: 1 serving.
Originally published as Sweet Onion Blossom in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005, p 64
Reviews for Sweet Onion Blossom
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Asparagus Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >