More Grilled Hamburger Recipes »
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/4 cups barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ONION TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 4 slices smoked cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, onion salt and brown sugar. Add egg. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties. Place in a shallow dish; pour barbecue sauce over patties. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients; cover and refrigerate until serving. For topping, melt butter in a small skillet. Stir in honey until blended. Add onions; saute for 15-20 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Drain and discard barbecue sauce. Grill patties, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Top each with a cheese slice; cook 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve on buns with sauce and onion topping. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sweet Onion BBQ Burgers
"These are a-mazing....."
"These were so good!"
"Made these last night for National Burger Day and they were great. I broiled them in the oven because I was afraid I'd burn them with the bbq sauce on them. And I forgot to make the onion sauce, and the burgers were ready, so just used chopped red onion. Shredded smoked cheddar and leftover bacon from the weekend made these perfect. I will used the meat mixture recipe for burgers from now on. Will make sauce next time. =)"
"Absolutely delicious! Sauce was awesome."
"Best burger recipe I've ever tried but I made 7 burgers instead of 4 b.c. they would have been huge burgers!!! The burger also didn't want to stay together so I made them into sloppy joes. I'm thinking I used a little too much BBQ sauce and that's whey they weren't staying together but next time I'll be carefull and may use less."