As soon as the spring Vidalia onions hit the market, this is one of the first recipes I make. I use it on hot dogs, bruschetta, cream cheese and crackers. It is so versatile. —Pat Hockett, Ocala, Florida
- 4 large sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 4 large sweet red peppers, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Sweet Onion & Red Bell Pepper Topping in Taste of Home April/May 2014
Reviews for Sweet Onion & Red Bell Pepper Topping
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 18, 2014
"Great addition to tex mex foods. I used it this past weekend and it was a hit."
Reviewed Jul. 19, 2014
"Can be used on or with many things. If it calls for peppers, substitute these."