Sweet Onion & Mushroom Braid Recipe
You can make this impressive bread easily by using prepared pizza dough. The braid can be served as an appetizer or alongside soup or salad.—Rene Montgomery, Duluth, Minnesota
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1. Roll dough into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Add brown sugar and thyme; cook 1 minute longer or until blended.
- 3. Sprinkle cheese lengthwise down the center of dough; top with mushroom mixture. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips 3 in. into center.
- 4. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Brush with egg white. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 144 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 251mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Sweet Onion & Mushroom Braid
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC