Sweet Onion & Carrot Medley
Carrots, onion and peas, oh my! Tender veggies are tossed in a tasty honey-garlic mixture. Keep in mind that olive oil pours quickly, so it’s a good idea to measure it—even an extra teaspoon adds 40 calories and 4.5 g fat. —Fran Scott, Birmingham, Michigan
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 1/2 pound fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place 1 in. of water in a large skillet; add carrots. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in peas;
- cover and cook 3 minutes longer. Drain; remove from pan and set
- In the same skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic;
- cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the chives, honey, salt, pepper and
- vegetables; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 86 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.