Sweet Maple Baked Beans
"When my son developed diabetes at age 3, I found myself converting a lot of our favorite recipes," writes Laura Fisher of Glendale, Arizona. "H always liked these saucy beans. They get their sweet maple flavor from sugar-free pancake syrup."
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 can (28 ounces) pork and beans
- 1/4 cup sugar-free pancake syrup
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 onion slice, separated into rings
- In a large bowl, combine the pork and beans, syrup, ketchup and
- mustard. Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking
- spray. Sprinkle with bacon; top with onion. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 equals 138 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 612 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.