- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water; drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine macaroni and vegetables. Whisk together remaining ingredients until smooth and sugar is dissolved; stir into macaroni mixture. Refrigerate, covered, overnight. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Macaroni Salad
"This is a superb macaroni salad recipe. it is the one I make all the time now that I have discovered it. My family loves it."
"Made this using the large elbow macaroni noodles for a party and it was amazing, everyone loved it, they all wanted the recipe and it was so easy to make, I let it set in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving, cant wait to make this again. Definitely a party pleaser."
"This has been my "go to" macaroni salad since this recipe first appeared in Taste of Home, several years ago. I, too, omit the 1 cup of sugar, which makes the salad too sweet for my family's taste. I also add 1/3 cup each of diced green, red and yellow sweet peppers (rather than just green pepper) and 1/4 cup chopped parsley for added color. This recipe is always a favorite at parties, picnics and BBQ's!"
"One of our favorites..make it all the time!!!"
"This is very good. I leave out the 1 cup of sugar since the sweetened condensed milk is in it. I also have never added green pepper to it. Be sure to refrigerate overnight, the sauce needs to soak in a little."
"I make this salad all the time and always get requests to bring it to party's."
"This salad just didn't taste right with the sweetened condensed milk in it."
"I have made this twice for pot lucks and always come home with it all gone. when asked for the recipe I direct them to the TOH web site. It has been made my several people since."
"We love it!"
"We all love this. Its just like Amish Macaroni salad. I make this all the time. The only thing I change is I add sweet pickle relish. But that is just a personal preferance."