There's no trick to making these Halloween-flavored cupcakes. By using a convenient cake mix, you can turn them out in a jiffy. Simplify them even more with canned frosting.
12 ServingsPrep: 50 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix or cake mix of your choice (regular size)
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup milk
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons orange paste food coloring
- 12 gumdrops
- 12 black jujubes
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions for cupcakes.
- Fill 24 greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for
- 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire
- racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter
- and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Stir in food
- coloring. Cut a thin slice off the top of each cupcake. Spread
- frosting on 12 cupcakes. Invert remaining cupcakes and place on top;
- frost top and sides.
- For stems, place one gumdrop on each pumpkin. Cut jujubes into thin
- slices; use a bottom slice for each mouth.
- From remaining slices, cut one large triangle and two smaller ones.
- Position two small triangles and a large triangle on each cupcake