- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, orange peel and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and oil until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Shape into a 6-in. round loaf on a greased baking sheet. Brush top with egg yolk; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cover top loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove from pan to a wire rack; serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (20 slices).
Originally published as Sweet Italian Holiday Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews for Sweet Italian Holiday Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 14, 2015
"You may need to be Italian to appreciate this cofee cake. It is very plain but delicious. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it is just like my mom's ciambella she made for 75 years. Thanks for sharing it."