These good-tasting sausage meatballs disappear before anything else on the table or buffet. They have a delightful tang with a bit of crunch from the water chestnuts. I've used the recipe for over 20 years because it's so easy to do and comes out perfect every time. —Claire Stryker, Boulder City, Nevada
Recommended: 52 Cheer-Worthy Tailgate Appetizers
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) water chestnuts, drained
- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a blender, process water chestnuts until minced. Transfer to a large bowl; add sausage and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch, syrup, vinegar and soy sauce; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Drain meatballs; add to sauce and heat through. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-Hot Sausage Meatballs in Country Woman September/October 1999, p31
Reviews for Sweet-Hot Sausage Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 28, 2014
"definitely need the sweet pepper sausage. i only had hot sausage, and it was ok, but too hot"
Reviewed Jan. 5, 2013
"Great tail-gate food"
Reviewed Oct. 5, 2009
"I used store bought meatballs but everyone loved the flavor-p.s. it is great for people that can't have tomato products"