Sweet Corn Beignets with Bacon-Sugar Dust Recipe
Opposites attract deliciously in these irresistible beignets—crispy outside and soft and fluffy inside. Salty bacon sugar contrasts nicely with the sweet corn in the pastries.Cheryl Perry, Hertford, North Carolina
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 cooked bacon strips
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the corn, sugar, eggs, butter, salt, vanilla and 4-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine confectioners' sugar and bacon. Process until combined; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. squares.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry squares, a few at a time, until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Dust with bacon-sugar mixture. Serve warm. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Sweet Corn Beignets with Bacon-Sugar Dust in Country Woman February/March 2012, p45
Reviews for Sweet Corn Beignets with Bacon-Sugar Dust(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Bread Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Cajun Bread Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Country Woman Breakfast Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Doughnuts >
- Low Fat Breakfast Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >