Sweet Corn Beignets with Bacon-Sugar Dust Recipe
Opposites attract deliciously in these irresistible beignets—crispy outside and soft and fluffy inside. Salty bacon sugar contrasts nicely with the sweet corn in the pastries.—Cheryl Perry, Hertford, North Carolina
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 cooked bacon strips
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the corn, sugar, eggs, butter, salt, vanilla and 4-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine confectioners' sugar and bacon. Process until combined; set aside.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. squares.
- 5. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry squares, a few at a time, until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Dust with bacon-sugar mixture. Serve warm. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 beignet equals 117 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 84 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC