Sweet Corn & Saffron Risotto Recipe
The saffron adds a sunny yellow color to this creamy corn risotto. However, if you don't have any on hand, it can be omitted. The risotto is delicious either way.Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
- 4 medium ears sweet corn
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads or 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Cut corn from cobs. In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add corn, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup broth. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until corn is tender. Remove from skillet and set aside; keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, heat saffron and remaining broth; keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in oil and 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in wine. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add warm broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender (cooking time is about 20 minutes).
- Stir in the cream, reserved corn mixture and remaining butter; cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle with basil. Serve immediately. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Corn & Saffron Risotto in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p63
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sweet Corn & Saffron Risotto(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review