Sweet Christmas Canes Recipe
I received this recipe from my county home economist. See if it becomes a Christmas-morning tradition at your house like it has at ours!
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Confectioners' sugar icing, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, combine all filling ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. Meanwhile, for dough, scald milk and cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in water; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and lemon peel. Cut in butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add milk, yeast mixture and eggs. Combine to form a soft dough. Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 3. Divide dough in half. On a well-floured surface, roll out each half of the dough into an 18-in. x 15-in. rectangle. Divide the filling and spread on each rectangle. Fold each rectangle into thirds, starting with the 15-in. side. The dough will now measure 15 in. x 6 in.
- 4. Cut each piece into 15 short strips. Twist each strip and shape into a candy cane. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Frost with a confectioners' sugar icing if desired. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 175 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC