Sweet Chili Short Ribs Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1 jar (12 ounces) pineapple preserves
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- Hot cooked rice or mashed potatoes
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add ribs, a few at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown ribs in oil in batches on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the mushrooms, carrots, onions and celery.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, preserves, taco seasoning and brown sugar; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with rice or potatoes. Yield: 5 servings.
1 rib with 3/4 cup vegetable mixture (calculated without rice or potatoes): 770 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 2038mg sodium, 138g carbohydrate (84g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein
Reviews for Sweet Chili Short Ribs
"The ribs wer very tender but the taste wasn't the best."
"Great recipe! Easy preparation...fix it and forget it. Very tasty. This recipe will be in my favorites category. My husband couldn't find short ribs at the grocery store, so we used beef back ribs. FYI: a good amount of fat/grease appeared by the end of the cooking time in the slow cooker. Maybe I should have cooled it in the refrigerator after cooking and scraped off the congealed grease and reheated."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.