Folks may not be able to resist licking their fingers after they try these sassy beef ribs. Thanks to the long cooking time, the veggies take on some of those sweet-and-savory flavors, too.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1 jar (12 ounces) pineapple preserves
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- Hot cooked rice or mashed potatoes
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add ribs, a few at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown ribs in oil in batches on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the mushrooms, carrots, onions and celery.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, preserves, taco seasoning and brown sugar; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with rice or potatoes. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Chili Short Ribs in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2012, p13
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Sweet Chili Short Ribs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review