Sweet Cherry Pie Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Dash almond extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger ball to fit a 7-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.
- 2. For filling, combine sugar with cornstarch in a microwave-safe bowl. Drain cherries and reserve 2 tablespoons juice. Stir in cherries; reserved juice, lemon juice and almond extract. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened, stirring occasionally. Pour into crust. Dot with butter.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece: 449 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Sweet Cherry Pie
"Really enjoyed this recipie! I usually add almond extract but the addition of lemon juice made this exceptionally flavorful!"