Sweet Cherry Meringue Dessert
"It's hard to resist this elegant treat with its sweet cherry flavor and fun crunchy crust," writes Bernardine Adamson of Sarcoxie, Missouri, "It won first place in the desserts category at my husband's company picnic."
15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups crushed saltines (about 60 crackers)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1 can (20 ounces) reduced-sugar cherry pie filling
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar
- and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in
- saltines and pecans.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and
- edges begin to crack. Cool on a wire rack. Spread whipped topping
- over crust. Carefully spoon pie filling over top. Yield: 15
Nutritional Facts: One piece equals 241 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.