You’ll be proud to serve this tasty brunch bake from Elisa Lochridge, Beaverton, Oregon. The cherry topping and dollop of yogurt make each bite a special treat.
- 8 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- CHERRY TOPPING:
- 4 cups fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- Vanilla yogurt
- Place the bread in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, syrup, sugar, orange peel and salt. Pour over bread; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In another large bowl, combine the cherries, orange juice and sugar. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer bread slices to another greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Discard any remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir in the reserved cherry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over French toast; drizzle with yogurt. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Cherry French Toast in Taste of Home April/May 2006
Reviews for Sweet Cherry French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2014
"Excellent French toast. I made breakfast for dinner with bacon on the side."
Reviewed Dec. 7, 2013
"All family members liked it."