Here's a flavorful way to dress up carrots without a lot of fuss. Simply steam the good-for-you veggies, then season with butter, brown sugar, vinegar and a sprinkling of chives. The carrots are not only colorful, but they taste good, too.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups baby carrots
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- Place carrots in a steamer basket. Place in a saucepan over 1 in. of
- water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until
- tender. Transfer carrots to a large bowl. Add the brown sugar,
- butter, vinegar and salt; toss until butter is melted and carrots
- are coated. Sprinkle with chives. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 76 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 202 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.