Sweet Braided Loaves Recipe
“This recipe was handed down from my grandmother. I make it for my family every year for Easter morning.” —Diane Turner, Brunswick, Ohio
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, eggs, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Stir in raisins.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into six portions. Shape each into a 12-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining ropes. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Brush with egg; sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 194 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 93 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC