- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, eggs, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Stir in raisins.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into six portions. Shape each into a 12-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining ropes. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Brush with egg; sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Sweet Braided Loaves
Sort By :
"Every 3 weeks, I make something for the "Muffins and More" snack program at our oldest daughter's school. I decided this would be a fun recipe to try, but nuts are not allowed for allergy reasons. Instead, I added a bit of cinnamon to the dough and then sprinkled a liberal coating of cinnamon-sugar on after the egg wash. It was fantastic! This is a versatile recipe to suit tastes and I look forward to making it as written for just our family. Fruit would be a nice addition to this as well for another idea. Such a pretty and tasty treat that is impressive to look at and taste."
"oh so good, added more almonds to top,love it"
"I left out the raisins, added some anise oil. the family all loved it!"
"This lovely loaf was a hit with my family. It is slightly sweet and oh so tender!"