Sweet Berry Bruschetta Recipe
- 10 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- Cooking spray
- 5 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 6 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 3/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet; lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, extract and remaining sugar. Spread over toasted bread. Top with berries and almonds; dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 pieces.
1 piece: 92 calories, 2g fat (trace saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Sweet Berry Bruschetta
"I made this for an evening snack. It was very good. My husband loved it. Next time I will try lemon in place of the almond extract."
"This would be great as an appetizer, dessert, or breakfast item. I used a french baguette cut on the diagonal. I substituted mascarpone cheese for the cream cheese. To toast the bread I used my basic bruschetta technique of lightly brushing both sides of the bread with a little vegetable oil and baking at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Flip, sprinkle with sugar, and broil for one minute. These were absolutely delicious and got rave reviews."
"This is such a tasty and pretty appetizer. If using as an appetizer, be sure your bread isn't to big around, otherwise your individual servings get too big for an appetizer. I have served several times. It's great for a brunch, but also served for a dinner party. Great reviews!"
"Very tasty and easy recipe. Since I don't like almond flavoring and didn't find raspberries at the store, I substituted vanilla for almond extract and used strawberries instead. Very satisfying in the morning. Even my "picky" husband enjoyed them."
"This is a deliciously sweet alternative to regular bruschetta. I can't wait to make it again. Thanks!"
"This was a wonderful recipe. Very refreshing!!"