Sweet Berry Bruschetta
I've made this recipe by toasting the bread on a grill at cookouts, but any way I serve it, I never have any leftovers. The bruschetta is sweet instead of savory as is often expected, and visitors enjoy that change. -Patricia Nieh of Portola Valley, California
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 10 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- Cooking spray
- 5 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 6 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 3/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet; lightly coat with cooking
- spray. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat
- for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, extract and remaining
- sugar. Spread over toasted bread. Top with berries and almonds; dust
- with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 pieces.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 92 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 179 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.