These sauced-up meatballs have big Asian flair. If your family likes sweet-and-sour chicken, this beefy version is bound to hit the spot. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs, thawed
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 1 jar (10 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, pepper and onion; cook and stir 7-9 minutes or until tender.
Stir in meatballs, barbecue sauce, preserves, pineapple, water, mustard and allspice. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until meatballs are heated through. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Serve as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sweet BBQ Meatballs in Simple & Delicious August/September 2014
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Sweet BBQ Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review