The sweet, thick barbecue sauce clings to large tasty meatballs. This recipe is one of my favorites to take to potlucks or to serve as a meal after harvest. —Gwen Goss, Garden City, Kansas
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into 2-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Drain on paper towels. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine ketchup, brown sugar, liquid smoke if desired and lemon juice; cook and stir until brown sugar is dissolved. Pour over meatballs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Meatballs in Country Pork 1996, p70
Reviews for Sweet Barbecue Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review