Sweet Apple Pie Recipe
By pairing apples and candy, I came up with this creation#151;a kind of toffee apple in a pie crust!. A stay-at-home mom of five, I enjoy cooking, canning, baking, crafting and volunteering as a scout leader and religion teacher.
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge of plate. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add apples and toss to coat. Stir in toffee bits. Pour into crust. Dot with butter.
- 2. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; make decorative cutouts in the pastry. Place pastry over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Top with cutouts; brush top pastry with cream if desired. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 560 calories, 27 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 418 mg sodium, 78 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC