- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge of plate. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add apples and toss to coat. Stir in toffee bits. Pour into crust. Dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; make decorative cutouts in the pastry. Place pastry over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Top with cutouts; brush top pastry with cream if desired. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Apple Pie in Country Woman July/August 2001, p31
Reviews for Sweet Apple Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 27, 2008
"look in the aisle with the chocolate chips. That's where they're at in my favorite store"
Reviewed Jul. 9, 2008
"where do i get almond brickle chips?"