Sweet and Tangy Meatballs Recipe
Convenience items, including bottled barbecue sauce and canned pineapple and cranberry sauce, speed preparation of this sweet and tangy main dish. It's a snap to throw together, yet tastes like it took a lot of work. My family loves its Hawaiian flavor. -Nancy Decker, Lemoore Navel Air Station, California
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 6 unsweetened pineapple slices
- 6 green pepper rings
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine egg substitute and milk. Stir in the crumbs, onion and pepper. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 36 balls, about 1 in. each.
- 2. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs; drain if necessary. Combine the cornstarch, pineapple juice, barbecue sauce and water until smooth; stir in cranberry sauce.
- 3. Pour over meatballs. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; top with pineapple and green pepper.
- 4. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
6 meatballs (calculated without rice) equals 338 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 556 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC