Sweet and Tangy Beets Recipe
Fresh beets are delicious when combined with aromatic spice and a hint of orange. These ones have the perfect balance of sweet and sour flavors.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds small fresh beets, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1. Place beets in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in orange juice and vinegar. Pour over beets; dot with butter. Place cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Place bag in slow cooker.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until tender. Discard spice bag. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup beets equals 214 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 344 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Sweet and Tangy Beets
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC