Sweet and Tangy Beets Recipe
Fresh beets are delicious when combined with aromatic spice and a hint of orange. These ones have the perfect balance of sweet and sour flavors.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds small fresh beets, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1. Place beets in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Mix sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in orange juice and vinegar. Pour over beets; dot with butter.
- 2. Place cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Place bag in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until tender, 7-8 hours. Discard spice bag. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 214 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 344mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Sweet and Tangy Beets
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC