Sweet and Spicy Chili Recipe
- 3/4 pound beef sirloin tip steak, cubed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 can (12 ounces) root beer
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown steak in oil. Remove and set aside. Add the ground beef, onions and garlic to the pan; cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain.
- 2. Return steak to the pan; stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Yield: 13 servings (1 cup each).
Editor's Note: When cutting hot peppers, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face. The following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
1 cup: 338 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 912mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 10g fiber), 23g protein.
Reviews for Sweet and Spicy Chili
"This is my family's favorite chili. It's the only one they ask for."