- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced water chestnuts, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2/3 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 2 cups sweet-and-sour sauce
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup duck sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; stir in bread crumbs. Add pork; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer meatballs to a 4-qt. slow cooker. In small bowl, mix the first eight sauce ingredients. Pour over meatballs. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until meatballs are cooked through. If desired, sprinkle with green onions. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Sweet and Spicy Asian Meatballs
"Full disclosure: I did not make the recipe as listed above due to lack of ingredients. I used frozen Swedish meatballs, honey instead of duck sauce, some ketchup Worcestershire added to the BBQ sauce (didn't quite have the 1/4 c), and a squirt of sriracha. Everything else was the same though.It did turn out really yummy though."