Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs Recipe
I'm always looking for recipes that are big on taste, but quick and easy to prepare, with little clean up. This one has it all. It's my son's favorite recipe and he requests it whenever he comes home to visit. I often double the recipe so that we have leftovers for the next day's lunches. —Michele Orthner, Edmonton, Alberta
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 slice white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 cups uncooked Minute® Brown Rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, carrots and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the tomato sauce, broth, pineapple, brown sugar, vinegar and ketchup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, bread, zucchini, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 2-in. balls. Carefully add to tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- 3. Add rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 389 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 991 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC