Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 slice white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, carrots and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the tomato sauce, broth, pineapple, brown sugar, vinegar and ketchup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, bread, zucchini, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 2-in. balls. Carefully add to tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- Add rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs(3)
Sort By :
The Kids liked everything except the taste of the turkey. I will probably mix half beef half turkey next time and add some more seasoning to the meat.
This recipe was amazing! I cooked everything in a large skillet since I didn't have a Dutch oven. I didn't have any zucchini either, so I added some bread crumbs to help form the meatballs. My husband loved it and friends asked for the recipe! Definitely a keeper!
The flavors are great! Meatballs are fantastic! The rice absorbed too much of the juice. Next time I will omit the rice and serve over noodles.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Turkey Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Meatball Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >