Sweet-and-Sour Scallops Recipe
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) pineapple chunks
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple and juice aside. In a large skillet, saute scallops in oil until firm and opaque; drain. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- 2. In the same pan, saute onion and green pepper in butter for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, ground mustard and salt. Whisk in the vinegar, soy sauce and reserved pineapple juice until smooth.
- 4. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the tomatoes, scallops and reserved pineapple; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup equals 381 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 875 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.