Sweet-and-Sour Red Cabbage
This colorful and yummy side dish goes well with any pork dish. It is perfect for a get-together because it make so much!—Elna Groot-Nibblelink, Bloomfield, Ontario
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 35 min.
- 12 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch salt, optional
- Place cabbage in a large saucepan; layer the apples over cabbage.
- Combine sugar and cloves; sprinkle over apples. Add bay leaf.
- Combine vinegar and water; pour over all. Place the butter on top;
- add salt if desired. Cover and bring to a boil, stirring
- occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until
- liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before
- serving. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving equals 71 calories, 64 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol. 16 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm protein, 2 gm fat.