Sweet-and-Sour Pot Roast Recipe
- 12 small white potatoes, peeled
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Trim fat from roast; cut in half. In a large skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings; saute onion in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and salt. Pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until meat is tender. Before serving, pour sauce into a skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until reduced and thickened. Serve with potatoes and beef. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Pot Roast(11)
Sort By :
This is the most fantastic slow-cooker pot roast recipe ever! I've been making it for years, and I'll share a secret: it's every bit as good with venison (we like elk) as with beef. Because we like them, I nearly always put thick-sliced onions in the pot before the rest of the ingredients, and generally sear the meat on the outside gas barbecue instead of on the stove top (cleaner, and still quick). Haven't had to cook the sauce at the end to reduce/thicken, either. Yummy!!!
This pot roast recipe is fantastic. I followed the recipe closely, although I added carrots too. I used white vinegar as that's what I had, and a can of chopped tomatoes instead of tomato sauce. I cooked it about 5 hours. Poured the juices into a sauce pan and added a couple spoons of corn starch to thicken it. It was perfectly tender and very tasty. I was a bit leery of the idea of sweet and sour -- wondered if it would overwhelm the beef. But really, we didn't detect a pronounced sweet and sour-ness so much as just really, really good flavor. I will be using this recipe again and again. Thanks for excellent recipe.
My mom used to make a sweet and sour pot roast. I was excited to find this one. It is really good and moist. Great flavor.
Easy to put together and very tasty. Has a definite tang to it. I think next time I will throw in some carrots with the potatoes.
This is the best pot roast receipe ever!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Roast Dinner >
- Roast Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >