- 12 small white potatoes, peeled
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Trim fat from roast; cut in half. In a large skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings; saute onion in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and salt. Pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until meat is tender. Before serving, pour sauce into a skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until reduced and thickened. Serve with potatoes and beef. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Pot Roast
"We loved this roast. Will definitely make this again."
"This was so good for a different kind of pot roast"
"Very good roast recipe, and the potatoes came out perfect! Will definitely make this one again!"
"This is an easy and tasty pot roast. Nice to have the potatoes covered in the sauce! My company loved this dish, and I didn't change a thing!"
"This is the most fantastic slow-cooker pot roast recipe ever! I've been making it for years, and I'll share a secret: it's every bit as good with venison (we like elk) as with beef. Because we like them, I nearly always put thick-sliced onions in the pot before the rest of the ingredients, and generally sear the meat on the outside gas barbecue instead of on the stove top (cleaner, and still quick). Haven't had to cook the sauce at the end to reduce/thicken, either. Yummy!!!"