Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe
Meet the Cook: My husband and I have four children, ages 15 to 3 - and this dish is the best way I've found to get them to eat their vegetables! (I'll frequently substitute broccoli and cauliflower, for instance, for some of the other ingredients.) Actually, my kids call this "Mom's Secret Recipe", because I put something different in every time - instead of pork, I'll sometimes use chicken, beef or tuna. However I prepare it, they'll each have two or three helpings. -Sally Pelszynski, Princeton, Illinois
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless pork loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- Hot cooked rice
- In a wok or skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add pork; sprinkle with paprika. Brown pork on all sides. Reduce heat. Add water; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Drain the pineapple; set pineapple aside. Gradually add the vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and reserved pineapple juice to the brown sugar mixture; stir until smooth.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into pork; cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the pineapple, green pepper, onion and water chestnuts; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Sweet and Sour Pork in Country Woman January/February 1991, p33
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sweet and Sour Pork(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review