Sweet-and-Sour Popcorn Chicken Recipe
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen popcorn chicken
- 1. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry green pepper and onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to the juice to measure 1-1/3 cups; stir in the vinegar, soy sauce and ketchup.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in pineapple juice mixture until smooth. Gradually add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pineapple and heat through.
- 3. Meanwhile, microwave chicken according to package directions. Stir into pineapple mixture. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 429 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 1150mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Popcorn Chicken
"I have made this several times. I like to bake the popcorn chicken (not nuggets!) rather than microwave them. This keeps them crispier. Also I add the chicken at the very last minute. For leftovers the chicken does get softer again but that's just the nature of keeping them mixed in the sauce. If you want to keep chicken crispy keep it separated and re-toast or bake for a few minutes again to warm up. I also tend to use 1 green and 1 red pepper for color and a larger onion for extra flavor. Serve with rice or noodles for a very satisfying meal!"
"Delicious! I made this exactly as written and served it with the Fried Rice and Egg Drop soup from the same reader."
"I made these for a group of friends last night who were just hanging out and they devoured them. I definitely prepped before I started cooking though and I put the chicken in the oven not the microwave to give them a crispier texture. Absolutely delicious!"
"I love this recipe. The sauce is wonderful!! The only thing about this recipe to be aware of is to prep everything before you start to cook. I'm a prep as I go cook and that was a little difficult with this recipe."
"This is really excellent and a creative way to use popcorn chicken. Way tastier than take out. My husband and kids loved it! I will add this to anytime we want a Chinese food night."
"This was so delicious! And so easy to make! Tasted like the real thing! :)"
"I love this recipe. I have made it for years and we absolutely love it. It's as good as take out!"
"The sauce was perfect. I've tried other sweet-and-sour recipes and they never tasted quite right. My search has finally ended! The ONLY thing I did different was double the sauce and cooked the chicken in the oven instead of microwave. Can't wait to make again!"
"I have about a dozen recipes from this magazine that I make regularly, and this is one of them. We love it, and the ease of the chicken saves a step. I've even made it for guests."
"Kids and Husband love it! Its quick and easy. It really satisfied my craving for Chinese food. I put it on top of some white rice."
"Easy and delicious!!! If you like it a bit spicy, add some hot red pepper flakes..."
"Thought I had lost this recipie and was very happy to find here on taste of home, this was a great recipie for a chinese night!!"
"I added some carrots, red pepper and yellow peppers. This was so easy and delicious! Will add this to my "keeper" file."
"I made this recipe and it was delicious and very easy to make."
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer