Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs Recipe
These meatballs can also be made with ground venison instead of the ground beef - they're delicious either way! The recipe is great for parties or other social gatherings because it's simple to make and can easily be doubled.
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 2 dozen 1-1/2-in. balls. Place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- 2. For sauce, combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add pineapple and juice, green onions, vinegar and soy sauce; cook and stir just until thickened and bubbly. Pour over meatballs.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Stir in green pepper. Cover and bake 10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 294 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 637mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2017
Reviewed May. 25, 2012
"Made these for years. Love 'em"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC