Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs Recipe
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 2 dozen 1-1/2-in. balls. Place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- For sauce, combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add pineapple and juice, green onions, vinegar and soy sauce; cook and stir just until thickened and bubbly. Pour over meatballs.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Stir in green pepper. Cover and bake 10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs in Country Extra May 1994, p47
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 25, 2012
"Made these for years. Love 'em"