- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, salt, pepper and eggs; crumble beef over top and mix well. Add onion and half of the tomato sauce. Press into a 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes. In a saucepan, combine the sugars, vinegar, mustard and remaining tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Pour over meat loaf; bake 10 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled meat loaf in plastic wrap and foil. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap meat loaf; reheat on a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan in a preheated 350° oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"I did not like this at all. I will probably feed the leftovers to the dog! This did not taste like sweet & sour at all. When I was making it I thought it seemed like a lot of sugar and it was . The meatloaf was super sweet tasting.Neither my husband or I liked it and I will not make it again."
"Okay, but not great. Did not taste like sweet & sour."
"My husband loved it!"
"This was a delicious meatloaf and the sauce was fabulous! However, though we tasted the 'sweet' flavor, we couldn't really pick up the 'sour'. Should I use more cider vinegar?"
"Truly enjoyed this recipe. I have a standard recipe for meat loaf that is my claim to fame with my large group of friends and family, but this one is a nice change."