Folks who aren't fond of the "sour" in sauerkraut will enjoy this vacation sweetened with brown sugar and priced at 29 cents a serving. "This side dish sounds strange, but it's really good-even cold," assures Margery Bryan of Moses Lake, Washington.
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove
- with a slotted spoon to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon
- drippings. Saute onion in the drippings until tender.
- Stir in sauerkraut, tomatoes, brown sugar and bacon. Bring to a
- boil. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 10
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 111 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.