Sweet and Sour Ham Recipe
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2/3 cup chopped green or sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup of juice; set pineapple aside. In a large bowl, combine the reserved juice, ketchup, soy sauce and sugar. Add ham and green pepper.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook and stir ham mixture over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until pepper is tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pineapple and heat through. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with unsweetened pineapple, light soy sauce and low-fat ham and without rice) equals 3 lean meat, 2 fruit, 1 vegetable; also, 320 calories, 2,534 sodium, 66 mg cholesterol, 36 gm carbohydrate, 27 gm protein, 7 gm fat.