Sweet and Sour Green Beans
"GREEN BEANS are the perfect accompaniment to Mother's pork roast. The flavors are compatible and blend well. I've never cooked any other vegetable dish when I make this pork roast dinner."
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 bacon strips
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 to 8 cups green beans, cooked and drained
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons
- of drippings. Crumble the bacon and set aside. Saute the onion in
- drippings until tender. Stir in flour until thoroughly combined. Add
- water, vinegar and sugar. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly;
- cook and stir 2 minutes more. Gently stir in beans and heat through.
- Sprinkle with bacon. Serve immediately. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 90 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 71 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.