- 1 medium head red cabbage, cored and sliced
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 2 whole allspice
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- In a Dutch oven, toss cabbage, apples and onion. Add water, vinegar, sugar, butter and salt. Place the peppercorns, allspice, cloves and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and stir with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Discard spice bag. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as German Red Cabbage in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p39
Reviews for Sweet and Sour German Red Cabbage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review