Baked elk steaks smothered with a simple, savory sauce is a special dinner we've enjoyed for years. My husband, Ralph, and I used to do quite a bit of hunting, so I accumulated lots of terrific recipes like this one.
-Susan Bowdle, Ephrata, Washington
4-6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + standing Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup Russian or Catalina salad dressing
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 pounds elk steaks, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a bowl, combine soup mix and water; let stand for 15 minutes. Add
- preserves, salad dressing, brown sugar and vinegar; mix well. Place
- elk in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and
- pepper. Pour apricot mixture over the elk. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 30-40 minutes longer or
- until meat is fork-tender. Serve over rice. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (4 ounces) equals 397 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 1,104 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.